Week 8: Analytical

How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People) by  Lodro Rinzler and Meggan Watterson
1-25
Pages read so far this week: 25
The book How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People) is written by two authors. In the introduction, it expresses how both authors share their personal stories of how they found each other even with separate spiritual paths. Meggan is Christian while Lodro is Buddhist. Both religions share a common trait, however; the idea of unbridled love.
In the opening chapter, Meggan speaks about how she had a revelation during a spirituality group. She discovered how self-worth is the key to finding love. She opens up about how many people rack up huge lists of accomplishments in order to feel worthy. She even admits that she herself does this. She beautifully states how people believe that he or she must earn love as if it was on the outside and not within. She says how everyone is deserving of love simply because he or she exists. She closes the chapter by saying how it is better to have a broken heart than a heart too afraid to break.
The second chapter is through the point of view of Lodro. Lordo was leading a meditation when someone asked a question that affected him immensely. The question was based on self-worth and the worthiness of love. Lordo then goes on to explain how many people have asked similar questions as that day. He says how people seem to feel like the answer to improving themselves is in the outside while its within. He explains how although he and Meggan have different backgrounds, they write about the same concepts.
I love the way the book is written because it incorporates two point of views unlike many other self-care books. Having two stories to follow makes the book more interesting. I can already tell that this book will probably be one of my favorites from this quarter because it includes a love story which I enjoy. This book may be the most beneficial book I will read this quarter. It already has me hooked with the first few chapters. The different writing styles also fit together very well. I feel like I will really enjoy this book and the elements encompassed in it.



Comments

  1. I can't read this because of the formatting. Did you copy and paste it? It seems very brief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote it in a google doc originally. I just fixed the formatting issue.

      Delete

Post a Comment